Best Ways to Get a Bug Free Patio
Summer means backyard barbecues, getting together with friends, and enjoying being outdoors on our patios. However, summers are also the time of year when bugs and insects come out in full force — and many of them have similar plans!
We have two options. Either we can learn to cohabitate with them, or find ways to make our patios a less than ideal place for these pesky pests to live.
The Benefits of Natural Pesticides
There are many all-natural, pet-friendly, and child-safe solutions to get rid of unwanted pests:
- Eliminate standing water: Standing water is a breeding ground for bugs. Address any areas water can collect, such as clogged rain gutters or areas prone to flooding, and prevent the bugs from spreading at the source.
- Landscape your backyard: Weeds, grass, brush–this where the bugs like to live and hide. Trim back the hedges and brush. Mow your lawn. Keep your backyard neat and tidy and you can minimize the likely places for the bugs to hide.
- Attract birds and bats: Both birds and bats live on a heavy diet of insects, including mosquitoes, flies, and gnats. Bats are known to consume 6 to 8 thousand bugs in a single night! Make your backyard home to these friendly pest controllers. Build a bird feeder, or better yet, build a bat house.
6 Quick Ways to Get Rid of your Backyard Pests
Don’t have time to build a bat house or landscape your backyard or clean out your rain gutters? These quick-and-easy hacks will enable you to get rid of bugs immediately. Here are some more simple nontoxic solutions you can use to eliminate your insect infestation.
- Keep it clean: Bugs and insects are attracted to your food waste. Simply by keeping your patio swept and wiped down, you will be eliminating any food sources for potential pests.
- Citronella: Citronella candles aren’t just for camping. They can be used anywhere, including your backyard!
- Use household products: Dish soap and water is more than capable of killing larvae. Garlic granules are also a popular way to ward off bugs, especially mosquitoes.
- Essential oils: It doesn’t get more natural than lavender and eucalyptus. Investing in some essential oil sprays can help you cut down on mosquitoes and other biting and stinging insects you find in your backyard.
- Plant pest-repellant herbs and flowers: Try planting chive, lemongrass, rosemary, or garlic in your backyard garden. Marigolds, lavender, and chrysanthemum are also known as good bug and other critter deterrents.
- Change your lightbulbs: White light bulbs attract more bugs and insects than lightbulbs that give off yellow or orange light.
Still Getting Bugs? Get Pest-free with a MagnaTrack Retractable Patio Screen
If all else fails, there’s no need to let bugs ruin your summer get-togethers. Shade Outdoor Living Solutions offers the perfect solution to your pest control problems. With a retractable patio shade, you can completely enclose your patio or pergola and still enjoy that feeling of being outdoors. The sleek and durable design means you can keep out bugs without ruining your view.
These motorized patio shadows are perfect for any occasion. The retractable patio shade is not only an ideal way to keep bugs away, but it is also an excellent solution for uncooperative weather. With just a touch of a button, these 60’x25’ shades can cut down on wind and keep out rain. Your outdoor occasions won’t be interrupted by the weather ever again.
The MagnaTrack retractable porch screen can solve many of your outdoor patio needs. Contact us and find out more about how Shade Outdoor Living Solutions can completely transform your backyard patio.